Wednesday, April 23, 2014

PubMed search

*Please note: We have a fixed list of databases that the blogs must cover, and I misunderstood the instructions and covered ScienceDirect rather than PubMed earlier in the semester, so PubMed is coming late here.

This search project is somewhat unusual because, rather than choose a relevant database based on my search topic, I have to figure out what relevant information I might be able to find in a given database that I have to use that would contribute to an understanding of my search topic, web design. Since I thought that this might be a little difficult, the first thing I did, before I started searching, was to think about what kinds of information I might find in PubMed that would tell me something useful about web design.

I explored the different resources on the landing page, including "Topic-Specific Queries" and the MeSH subject headings to get an idea. I saw that the topic-specific queries list included the subject: "Health Literacy." I then remembered that the health sciences are known in LIS for doing a lot of studies on information-seeking behavior as it relates to getting medical information and making health choices. A study on patient/consumer information-seeking behavior on websites would probably provide useful information to us, so now we have a goal.

Clicking on "Health Literacy" in the subject list lead me to a whole page devoted to helping a searcher find health literacy information in PubMed. It's available here and here is a partial screenshot:

Their suggested search is giant (you can see just the beginning of it above) but its basic structure is:
 [a bunch of terms related to health literacy connected by OR] AND English [language limiter]
I copied their suggested search strategy and did a search. However, as you can see from the partial screenshot below, we'll actually need to narrow it down further because web-related results do not feature prominently in the top results:


I'll show the revision in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment