Wednesday, April 23, 2014

American FactFinder search

My goal in searching American FactFinder (a U.S. Census database) is to figure out what fraction of my users are likely to access my website via a mobile device rather than through a traditional laptop or desktop computer, as this will influence how I divide up my time and effort between the mobile version of my site and the regular version.

The example site I am currently building serves Norman, OK, so this is the community I'll be investigating for this search. However, the central goal is to learn how to use the search interface so that I could do the same thing for any community.

I first tried the "Community Facts" search function. I'm not sure whether mobile device ownership will be a popular enough fact to be included, but I might as well check because it's an easy search and if it turns out that the information I want is included it will save me a lot of time.






Unfortunately, the information I am seeking does not appear to be available under Community Facts, so I returned to the main menu to take a look at Advanced Search instead.


The Advanced Search will be covered in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment