Wednesday, April 23, 2014

American FactFinder search part 3

For this post I am seeing if Guided Search will enable me to find the information I am hoping is in the database about smartphone/mobile device ownership. Guided Search is a neat step-by-step process that I would definitely recommend to a new user trying to figure out this database. Here is what it looks like:

However, on step 2, topics, I explored the various categories that I could learn about and discovered that American FactFinder does not have data on mobile phone ownership, at least as far as I can tell.

However, looking at the list of  people topics, I could see that it would have some other local information about my target user group that I could use to improve my website design. Specifically, we know that people of different ages and different education levels tend to use websites differently. We also know that if there is a significant non-English-speaking population in our area, we need to expand our (mostly English-language) site accordingly. Information about age, education, and language are things I probably could get from FactFinder. In fact, from looking at Community Facts early in my search, I already know that the median age is reported there.

This data is more basic and the Community Facts function is so easy to use that I returned to the latter to search for my new information. See the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment