Tuesday, February 18, 2014

ScienceDirect search part II

My initial searching in ScienceDirect produced a lot of hits about various "web-based" programs, so using ScienceDirect's "Edit this search" function I returned to the advanced search screen and re-ran the identical search except with "web NOT web-based" rather than just "web." At first this looked promising because only 120 results were returned, but as you can see from this screen shot, they did not appear to be useful results:

I returned again to Advanced Search to add the term "design," but I was already using up both fields provided to me in the Advanced Search interface:




This is obviously a problem. I checked out Expert Search to see if it would allow me to add more terms without losing the nice limiters that Advanced Search allows. The good news is that Expert Search has all the same features. The bad news is that I was not expert enough to use it. Despite trying several variations of how I input the terms, I could not get ScienceDirect to accept my search and kept getting an error message like this:



To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment