Friday, February 28, 2014

LexisNexis search part 3

This time I thought I would try the advanced search interface. Maybe I am using bad search terms and I can find better ones using controlled vocabulary. Accordingly, I used the Advanced Search "look up index terms" function to see what I should be using. I did a search for terms including "website" and these are my results:

It looks like web design is not a topic on which LexisNexis has much information. However, I am interested in how organization websites can incorporate user generated content (for example by putting patron reviews or tags into an OPAC), so I thought I would do a search to see what kind of materials the database has on that, even though I don't really know what "Industry Results" are.
Here is my new search:

This returns 999 hits. The results are somewhat promising, but some are too old or too obscure.

First I went back and edited my search to only include results that are less than five years old, as this is a rapidly-evolving topic. However, this did not cut down on the number of results. Apparently it actually returns >1,000 hits, as the last search must have also, because I got this message:

In part 4 we'll see if we can search within these results to glean something useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment